Hello world with Arduino: Blink
There's always a first time
What are we going to do?
In this activity you'll program your first Arduino code.
This code turns a LED on for a second, then off for one second, repeatedly. You can find this code under Arduino IDE -> File ->Examples -> Basics ->Blink
You don't need any extra components as it uses a LED connected to pin13 that most Arduino boards have.
Let's get started
Follow these instructions carefully. You can click on some of the images to zoom in.
In this case, you don't need to connect any extra components, just the UNO board and the USB cable.
Now, what else?
Now is your turn:
- What happened? What's the Arduino doing? (you can use expressions from language scaffolding).
- What's the command that turns the LED on?
- What's the command that changes the blinking time?
- Change something in the code so the LED turns on and off with different time intervals.
- Change the code so the led only turns on for 2 seconds and then it stays off forever (until you reset the board).
- Change the code so the led stays 4 seconds off, then 4 seconds on and then it blinks with a 1seg interval.
- command: in computer programming, a command means telling the compter to do something. (comando, orden)
- code: computer program. Example: There is an error in the code somewhere; I just haven't found it yet. (código)
- LED: inititalism (light-emitting diode) (LED, diodo electroluminiscente)
- blink: light go on, off. Example: The lights blinked as the storm raged on outside. (parpadear, brillar intermitentemente)
- recognize: identify. Example: the computer recognized the usb drive (identificar)
- This command turns a LED on/off
- The command to ... is ...
- To change the blinking time we use ...
- To pause the program we use ...
- When the Arduino starts, the LED blinks
- The led is always blinking
- The LED blinks indefinitely
Still need help?
First raise your hand and then...
Asking for general help
- Excuse me, I need help.
- Please, could someone help me?
- I have problems with this activity.
- This part is keeping me from finishing the activity
- How do I do that?
- What's the meaning of...?
- How do you say... in English?
- What does... mean?
- I don't understand this sentence/word/part...